Sunday, May 1, 2016

Wealth-Building

My interest in wealth-building started at the same time when my son was born. I thought, “How could I raise Marcus well when I just make ends meet?” I was overwhelmed with the expenses that come with a new born such as milk, diapers, vaccines, health card, and caregiver’s salary. “How else could I prepare for his education?” I wondered.

When I was single, I would contribute to household expenses whenever I can. Whenever I can. While helping out in family expenses was a good practice toward learning independence, I believe it is the parents’ sole responsibility to raise their children.

It’s the same belief that pushed me to look for answers now that I have a duty as a parent. Thus, I’ve included wealth-building in my list of readings. My favorite quote on this topic, so far, is “To get rich is simple, but it is never easy”. The paradox appealed to me. In reading through articles on budget management, savings, and investments, the contradiction is somehow fading.

I now understand that it is simple because whatever we have at this very moment is enough to start off the journey toward richness. One’s attitude levels the playing field. If you think you can do it, then you can. If you think you cannot, then you cannot.

Moreover, all of us are equally given 24 hours at our disposal. However, it is up to us how to use our time wisely and this is the not easy or difficult part because how to use our time requires reflection and discipline. Regular reflection changed my mindset from scarcity to abundance and allowed me to decide on my priorities.  

Discipline, on the other hand, is necessary to spend time productively. Maybe that’s why it is said that time is gold. In the exercise of discipline, immediate gratification is sometimes set aside for future gains. For example, when we choose to study and do our school assignments over passing time with friends, we may have chosen the harder and less fun option, but we know we will gain more from this choice.

I began to be serious about wealth-building with the onset of parenthood. But, I’ve realized that wealth-building is helping me improve as an individual overall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment